[Mimedefang] graphdefang on remote server

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Tue Jun 15 18:48:57 EDT 2004

On my underpowered, sluggish PIII rackmount server running
MIMEDefang/SpamAssassin/ClamAV, calling on graphdefang hourly (via cron)
causes major performance problems on that server -- it would literally slice
the messages processed per hour rating in half.  I'd like to be able to
continue to run graphdefang hourly -- I am hoping that graphdefang has the
ability process the maillog (remotely) from one of the many other Redhat
Linux servers on the network that have light average CPU/memory loads.

So, my question is, is there a way to have graphdefang process a maillog
remotely so that my MIMEDefang server isn't brought to its knees even
further when graphdefang fires up every hour (short of writing some lame
script to FTP the maillog over onto another server, and then process it)?
I'd like to be able to leave the maillog in place on the MIMEDefang server
and run graphdefang from another Linux server so that all the processing is
off-loaded. What's the best way to do this, and has anyone else attempted
this successfully?

My initial solution was to run graphdefang as a cron.daily script (instead
of cron.hourly), unfortunately that did not fly with the ol' boss as he
wants to see the stats updated hourly.  Thanks in advance for suggestions.

- Chris