[Mimedefang] Whitelisting Outbound E-Mail Addresses

wrolf.courtney at donovandata.com wrolf.courtney at donovandata.com
Tue Jun 8 17:05:42 EDT 2004

For a long time now (before implementing MIMEDefang) I have implemented
site-wide whitelisting of the to address of any outbound e-mail.

It is reasonable to assume that if one of my users sends someone mail, then
they want a reply.

Since my users are a community of interest (corporation), it is also quite
likely that someone else here would want e-mails from that person.

I implemented this using the access.db feature of Sendmail, with scripts
every five minutes scanning the logs and adding new entries.  It really got
around the problem of overly aggressive DNSBLs - I used to get into
explaining what a DNSBL (RBL) is to administrators at our customers and
suppliers, had to manually whitelist their server, etc.

Users very rarely call me over this now, since if they fail to get an
initial e -mail sent to them from a customer, they first try sending one
out.  This is a good strategy anyway (customer may have typoed their
address, etc.)

I would love to see this integrated into MIMEDefang.

Wrolf