[Mimedefang] ClamAV 0.72 is out

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Fri Jun 4 20:33:36 EDT 2004

On 06/04/04 at 14:51, 'twas brillig and Kayne Kruse scrobe:
> On Friday 04 June 2004 02:25 pm, Ole Craig wrote:
> > [root at hex mail]# clamscan -r .
> > ERROR: Please edit the example config file /usr/local/etc/clamav.conf.
>
> This I believe is a line with "example" in the default config.  I think it
> gives the ERROR you specified if its still in your clamav.conf.  You *NEED*
> to comment it out for it to work properly. ;D

	I'm well aware of the purpose of the Example line.

> ># Comment or remove the line below.
> > #Example
>
> >From clamav.conf manpage:
>
>       Example
>               If this option is set clamd will not run.

	I assure you, the fine manual is in fact incorrect; the *only*
way I can get clamscan to run is to leave the "Example"
directive ENABLED. When it is removed, clamscan hangs until killed.
When it is present, clamscan reports the error you quote above, but it
does run. (You'll note from the transcript that it did successfully
detect an infected file.)

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key

  Where are the missing deficit-reduction program-related activities?