[Mimedefang] Mail volume control

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Wed Jun 2 18:50:18 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "NFN Smith" <worldoff9908 at sacbeemail.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 9:28 AM
Subject: [Mimedefang] Mail volume control

> [...] In our setup we do quite a bit of work with MD in rewriting our
headers,
> as a way of masking domains that we use only internally.  One of the
> effects of this is that when the rewriting is done, a message with
> multiple recipients is generally broken apart at the time of rewriting,
> so that there is one copy of the message per addressee.
>
> Where we're having occasional problems is when we have users who do
> large personal mailings, sometimes as many as 400 or 500 recipients on a
> single message. [...]

Rather than resending a copy of the message to each and every recipient, how
about just replacing the To: and Cc: headers with something innocuous,
effectively making all of the recipients blind-carbon-copy (Bcc:) recipients
instead?

Another approach might be to send to groups of recipients: 1) insiders, who
get full headers, and 2) outsiders, who get whitewashed headers.

Either way, the mail server itself would only have to deliver a couple of
messages (to many recipients) rather than hundreds of messages to individual
recipients with the attendant load-multiplying effect.

Chris Myers
Networks By Design