[Mimedefang] TestVirus.org

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jul 30 10:50:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Paul wrote:

> I just ran it here with MD 2.41 + SA 2.60 + ClamAV 0.67. #5, #8, #23
> and #25 got through.

The MIME continuation vulnerability exploits a bug in Outlook.
MIMEDefang interprets the message correctly according to the MIME
RFCs.

As I wrote before many times, I have no intention of making MIMEDefang
"bug-for-bug" compatible with various buggy MUAs.  If you're really
concerned about this thing, the *ONLY* sane response is to canonicalize
every single message coming into your system by using
action_rebuild().  This will ensure that every message handed off by
MIMEDefang is a well-formed MIME message, and should reduce the
likelihood of misinterpretation by buggy MUAs.