[Mimedefang] Disk imaging software

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jul 28 15:15:33 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 10:31, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> I am about to upgrade my mail filters and I would like a quick way to
> revert back to the previous environement.  For regular backups, we use
> Tivoli Storage Manager, but it is a pain in the butt for recovery of other
> than a few files or directories.  For bare metal recovery it's terrible!

BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net) is really great for grabbing
a few old files and with the help of a run-from-CD Linux like Knoppix
can do a bare-metal restore.  The only thing in has in common with
MimeDefang is that it is a perl script...  The author went so far
as to rewrite most of rsync in perl so you need nothing but standard
programs on the client boxes (you can use tar, smb, or rsync access
methods) and it uses compression and linking of duplicate files to
minimize space used.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com