[Mimedefang] Re: Disk imaging software

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Jul 28 14:00:03 EDT 2004

I have no idea what problem you are having but I use Ghost almost daily with
RAID controllers including the SCSI PERC controllers from Dell and the 3ware
IDE Raid controllers.  I've also used Adaptec and some other "real" hardware
RAID drives.  I have had issues with Compaq's hardware RAID because they
don't export the container on a BIOS level.  They are a hardware raid but
oddly seem to place some of the features in the driver only.

Ghost won't support the lame software raid solutions such as MD or the
cheesy IDE raids that are driver based.  As a side note, 3ware is the only
"Hardware" RAID IDE Controller we recommend for Linux and the drivers are
open-source and in a stock 2.2 and 2.4 kernel for quite some time now.
Can't say enough good things about them.

And you are reading too much into the Symantec Knowledge Base.  They are
really saying it's an unsupported feature.

What RAID controller are you using?

Regards,
KAM

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/d87bb6ce0bde286d88256d6a00452701/7205dc44f3434700882566f10077bfd2?OpenDocument&prod=Symantec%20Ghost&ver=8.0&src=ent&pcode=symghost&dtype=corp&svy=&prev=&miniver=symghost_8