[Mimedefang] Disabling spam checks on outgoing email

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Jul 27 08:27:58 EDT 2004

--On Monday, July 26, 2004 2:47 PM -0500 Mike Campbell
<mike.campbell at oracle.com> wrote:

> I can't think of any reason why I would want to run spamassassign against
> outgoing emails. If I am wrong somebody please let me know what I am
> missing.

If "outgoing" includes smtp relay service (and thus "incoming from PCs"),
you might want to guard against compromised PCs being used by spammers.
Thanks to laptops being carried in and out, do not rely on network
firewalls.  Requiring smtp auth helps though; the spam and virus engines
don't seem to do that yet.  (We're waiting for one that puts its junk in
an Outlook Express outgoing queue to be sent with smtp auth later.)

You can put any conditions you want around the call to Spamassassin.
We skip it:

if (defined($SendmailMacros{"auth_type"}))

if ($RelayAddr eq "127.0.0.1")

and also if $RelayAddr is certain other local IPs that we trust.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York