[Mimedefang] some mime containing messages not detected as such

Mark G. Thomas Mark at misty.com
Mon Jul 26 10:06:03 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm relatively new to MIMEDefang.  I'm in the process of migrating from
other software to sendmail+MIMEDefang+SpamAssassin+ClamAV.  Setup has been
straightforward, and it's all working very well, except for one issue.

I'm noticing that although most messages containing executable attachments
are being successfully split up and dealt with as per my $bad_exts in the
provided mimedefang-filter file, occasionally my systems accept a bounce
message from a remote mail system where the original message with the
executable attachment, typically virus containing, are all attached
as a single mime attachment to the bounce message, and not split up
by MIMEDefang and detected by the $bad_exts mimedefang-filter configuration.

Being able to catch and deal with $bad_exts in as loose a manner as
typical user MUAs seems important, since this blocks new executable viruses
and malware when the virus scanner does not.

Has anyone else had this trouble?  I can provide samples if it would help.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
voice: 215-591-3695