[Mimedefang] MD 2.44 - sa-mimedefang.cf

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Tue Jul 20 10:45:25 EDT 2004

On 19 Jul 2004 at 14:39, Tony Nelson wrote:

> According to the Changelog for 2.44 I was supposed to move my
> sa-mimedefang.cf from /etc/mail/spamassassin to /etc/mail .. which I
> did.
>
> Shortly thereafter, I noticed that none of my custom rules,
> whitelists, etc were being acted on.
>
> I symlinked sa-mimedefang.cf back into /etc/mail/spamassassin and
> restarted everything and now it's work as expected.

I think this is the same bug (or related to it) that I ran into before.

The bug is in spam_assassin_init in mimedefang.pl.  Add the following
line right before the Mail::SpamAssassin->new line:

  md_syslog('notice',"User-prefs files set to $config");

If it doesn't say that /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf is being used, then
that's your problem.

I found that no matter what I did, $config got set to one of the default
values, even if I passed a value to spam_assassin_init.

Another gotcha is that all /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf files are
automatically read as if they are "site rules", so that it even if things
weren't working before to set your own prefs file, the file got read as
if it was extra rules, which are treated the same way.

--
Jeff Rife        | "Eternity with nerds.  It's the Pasadena Star
SPAM bait:       |  Trek convention all over again."