[Mimedefang] Speaking of man pages...

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Mon Jul 19 13:50:57 EDT 2004

	Speaking of man pages, I recently had a lengthy debugging
session for a new feature I wanted to add, where the bug was incorrect
expectations on my part caused by a mismatch between mimedefang.pl and
the API described by mimedefang-filter(5).

Here's the excerpt from the manpage:
   md_check_against_smtp_server($sender, $recip, $helo, $server)
      This  function  connects to the SMTP server $server and pretends
      to send mail from $sender to $recip.  If the  RCPT  TO:  command
      succeeds,  it  returns  (1  "OK").  If it fails with a permanent
      failure, it returns (0 $msg), where $msg is the message from the
      SMTP  server.   Any  temporary failures, connection errors, etc.
      result in a return value of (-1 $msg).

	The procedure comments in mimdefang.pl also claim possible
return values of (-1,0,1) but the procedure actually returns one of
(CONTINUE, REJECT, TEMPFAIL) because it's passing back the $retval of
get_smtp_return_code($sock), which outputs one of those strings in the
first index of the returned array.

	YAanecdote to add to my "Thank ghu for the source" stories,
		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-fu; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key

   Need a seasoned *NIX admin in the Denver/Boulder area? Hire me!