[Mimedefang] Reject vs. bounce

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Mon Jul 19 13:14:24 EDT 2004

On 18 Jul 2004 at 20:54, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jeff Rife wrote:
>
> > In filter_begin, filter, and filter_end, you can't return a "reject", but
> > can only do something like call "action_bounce", which generates a
> > separate e-mail to a possibly forged source address,
>
> That's not true.  Read the documentation carefully.

I thought I had.  This is what worried me:

  "action_bounce() may generate spurious bounce messages if the sender
   address is faked"

What I'm mostly trying to avoid is lots of e-mail from postmasters coming
back to my server.  As far as I can tell, if you reject while the
sendmail connection is still open, this should never happen.  If that's
the case with "action_bounce", then that's all I need to know.

--
Jeff Rife        |
SPAM bait:       |