[Mimedefang] Re: large mimedefang setup

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 16 18:46:46 EDT 2004

> > Anyone know of any issues with clamd/freebsd 4.10 and faulty threading?
> Unlike 4.x, FreeBSD-5.x has real threads, and clamd is much more happy
> there.
>
> > ... MFS mimedefang tmp directory.
> I'd suggest to avoid using MFS - the filesystem caching does pretty much
> the same or even a better job. MFS (md) in FreeBSD 5.x is still
> experimental (i.e. dangerous).

Well, we're not running 5.x, were running 4.10. And ive been using MFS
filesystems on very very veeery busy news servers with no problems.
Ive done tests with seek speeds between disksetups (raid0/1/5) and MFS,
and MFS was factors faster because you dont need to move spindles.

Granted, mimedefang isnt seeking that much on it's tmp dir, so I think
normal fs is probably fast enough, but im fairly sure it wont hurt.

Cor