[Mimedefang] Re: large mimedefang setup

Atanas mimedefang at asd.aplus.net
Fri Jul 16 14:34:49 EDT 2004

Cor Bosman said the following on 07/16/04 09:01:

 > Anyone know of any issues with clamd/freebsd 4.10 and faulty threading?
Unlike 4.x, FreeBSD-5.x has real threads, and clamd is much more happy
there.

 > ... MFS mimedefang tmp directory.
I'd suggest to avoid using MFS - the filesystem caching does pretty much
the same or even a better job. MFS (md) in FreeBSD 5.x is still
experimental (i.e. dangerous).

 > Anyone know of any performance figures we could
 > compare against to see if we have some problem?
For me a single machine (Dual Xeon, 2GB) handles about a 0.5-0.7
millions of messages. I even run a filesystem based greylist there and
it's still moderately loaded (2.0-3.0 at peak times) and runs just fine.

However I prefer to run clamd only once (by commenting out the
"md_copy_orig_msg_to_work_dir_as_mbox_file();" line in my filter). This
saves me about 50% clamd resources. I know this may cause some viruses
to get through, but according to my stats it's pretty insignificant.

Regards,
Atanas