[Mimedefang] INPUT_MAIL_FILTER F= flag

Mary Verge DeSisto mverge at epnet.com
Fri Jul 16 09:59:26 EDT 2004

When mimedfang failed to run, sendmail stopped processing email and was
deferred.  I want sendmail to continue processing, and have not included
the F= flag in my INPUT_MAIL_FILTER.

"Sendmail Mail Filter API" doc says:
The current flags (F=) are:
R Reject connection if filter unavailable
T Temporary fail connection if filter unavailable
If a filter is unavailable or unresponsive and no flags have been
specified, the MTA will continue normal handling of the current
connection. The MTA will try to contact the filter again on each new
connection.

Does "current connection" mean the subsequent connections will be deferred?

My cf file:
O InputMailFilters=mimedefang
Xmimedefang, S=:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, T=S:120s;R:120s;E:5m

I have no F= flag set, yet when mimededfang was not running I got:

Jul 15 23:59:41 eastwood mimedefang[10925]: [ID 655476 mail.error]
MXCommand: connect: Connection refused: Is multiplexor running?

Jul 15 23:59:41 eastwood mimedefang[10925]: [ID 758488 mail.warning]
mfconnect: Error communicating with multiplexor

Jul 15 23:59:41 eastwood sm-mta[2738]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
i6G3xfSb002738: Milter: connect: host=localhost, addr=127.0.0.1, temp
failing commands

Any idea why sendmail deferred mail instead of processing it?  Am I
misinterpreting the F= flag? Is there another option that could be
overiding the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER options?

thanks for your help,

Mary Verge DeSisto           ____________    __o
Unix Systems Administrator ___________     _-\<,_
EBSCO Publishing                    ......(_)/ (_)
978-356-6500 x482
mverge at epnet.com