[Mimedefang] SURBL

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Tue Jul 13 12:33:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Stefan Schoeman wrote:

> restarting MD, I could see no difference. So, after reading through the mail
> archive, I enabled SALocalTestsOnly=0 as suggested. This lead to SA checks
> within MIMEDefang taking around 5 seconds rather than the usual 0.05 to 0.4

   The "local tests only" setting seems to be affected by that "tflags"
tag in your SA config file.  If you put in the "tflags net" statement as
directed in the surbl example, then you will have to enable network tests.
But what I did was to leave the tflags tag out and leave $SALocalTestsOnly
set to 1.

> solution, so am I perhaps missing something? Do I need to upgrade to a newer
> version of MIMEDefang, or perhaps recompile it after upgrading SA to 2.63?

   No, you shouldn't have to do that.  When I was having problems, I
looked for this line in filter_end:

	my($hits, $req, $names, $report) = spam_assassin_check();

and put this right below it:

	action_add_header("X-UAH-Debug", "hits=$hits names=$names");

to see exactly what SA returned.  Also, if you are testing from localhost
or from another host in your domain, be sure that you have not put
something in your filter to skip checks in your local domain (I did, and
it bit me when I was testing).

   HTH...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville