[Mimedefang] Testing and dictionary attack..

john at essenz.com john at essenz.com
Fri Jul 9 15:25:00 EDT 2004

Very true... However, spammers are definitly aggressive when it comes to
finding new addresses on your server.

When I first started doing spam filtering on front-end machines, I would
just relay everything to the backend. So if spammers were sending email to
randomly generated accounts (bob.smith at domain.com) I was not returning a
550 even though that address did not exist. As result, Mr. Bob Smith has
become popular and now I can't get spammers to believe that he is gone!

Now, I always explicitly relay per address to prevent this type of
harvesting.

-john