[Mimedefang] Validating sender domain opinion

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jul 9 09:10:23 EDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> What about a DNS configuration with an invalid private MX as first one?

It's bad and I would reject mail from that domain.

> mox.de.                 252     IN      MX      10 192.168.100.251.

Two problems:

1) The value of an MX record must be a domain name, not an IP
address.

2) Publishing a private IP address as an MX record is very bad, because
someone might happen to be using that address, and that would cause
all kinds of problems.

The owner of mox.de should be told these things, and mail from mox.de
should be rejected.