[Mimedefang] Verifying mailbox...

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed Jul 7 18:51:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Bill Maidment wrote:

> WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> > Use sendmail to call an LDAP directory to verify addresses.  I'm still
> > working on the LDAP directory, so don't ask me how to configure sendmail!
> > Since we filter for over 20 domains not under our control, I want the
> > information to be available in real time.
>
> We tried that, but found that LDAP was way too slow. Let me know if you
> get it going at a reasonable speed.

I don't know how to do this with multiple domains, but for a single
domain, I've found that nscd does the trick (on Linux).   If sendmail can
check for users using  getpwent or related tool, and ldap is set up for
that in /etc/nsswitch.conf) then uid's and usernames will cache well.

One question is the extent to which "real time" is really needed and how
frequently ldap will be updated.  A question is how things should behave
if there are errors from the ldap server?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
 Hate spam?  Boycott MCI! http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/anti-spam/mci/