[Mimedefang] grammar nit

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Jul 7 15:33:15 EDT 2004

On Nov 14,  4:23am, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
} mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 06/24/2004 05:58:24
} AM:
}
} > Well, now it is, yes. But the current "SCO Group" only acquired that
} > piece of software from another company, now called Tarantella, that
} > used to be called "the Santa Cruz Operation" (or SCO, for short).
}
} Didn't SCO's UNIXWARE product pass through the hands of Novell back about
} 12 or 13 years ago?  I had until recently a Novell red box of UNIXWARE
} from my last job, and I've been here almost 10 years.

     Yes...  Now for the history lesson.  :-)  After the breakup of
AT&T they formed a subsiduary called USL (Unix Systems Laboratory) to
handle their UNIX division.  Eventually, AT&T decided to get out of the
UNIX market.  Novell was looking to diversify, so they bought USL,
along with several other companies (including DRI {Digital Research
Incorportated) which got them DR-DOS which they renamed to Novell DOS;
and I believe they also acquired WordPerfect).  Novell didn't do so
well with their diversification project and sold all their non core
assests.  SCO acquired UNIXWARE, Caldera acquired Novell DOS in 1996
and renamed it OpenDOS, and Corel acquired WordPerfect (Corel also
acquired Quattro Pro {a spreadsheet} from Borland and used these along
with other products to create WordPerfect Office).  SCO later sold its
UNIX products to Caldera.  SCO renamed itself to Tarantella Systems and
concentrated on their Tarantella product (which is supposed to be like
Citrix, but I have never seen it and don't know much about it).
Caldera found that it made more money from the old SCO products then
anything else, so they decided to rename themselves, The SCO Group, and
concentrate on those products.  Shortly afterwards, they sued IBM for
$2 billion and you know the rest.

     As a side issue, in 1998 Caldera spun off Caldera Thin Clients to
focus on the embedded market.  This group got Novell DOS.  The name of
the company was eventually changed to Lineo.  In 2002 Novell DOS was
sold to DeviceLogics so that Lineo could concentrate on the embedded
Linux market.  Novell DOS was renamed back to DR-DOS.  Also in 2002 a
spinoff called DR-DOS/OpenDOS Ehancement Project was created.  It is
based on OpenDOS 7.1 (current version is 8.0) which was open source.
Current links are http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos80.htm and
http://www.drdosprojects.de/ .

}-- End of excerpt from WBrown at e1b.org