[Mimedefang] Outbound messages are blocked

john at essenz.com john at essenz.com
Tue Jul 6 12:58:02 EDT 2004

If you provide remote SMTP access to roaming users, one problem is that
users relay IP gets tagged in RBL tests like DYNABLOCK or NJABL_DAILUP.
The solution depends on how you do things. I have a server that allows
remote SMTP relaying for authorized users via a POP-before-SMTP scheme. I
have a sendmail map of authorized IP's. In  mimedefang, after I scan an
email and give it a SA score, I then lower the score by 4.0 if the relay
IP exists in my sendmail map of IP's allowed to relay. I still filter
outbound mail because I don't want my users sending spam. By simply
lowering their score by 4.0 I can still catch some really bad stuff.

Likewise, you still want to filter outbound mail for viruses too, as you
dont want to be blamed for causing issues that your users created!

-John