[Mimedefang] New spam technique

john at essenz.com john at essenz.com
Tue Jul 6 11:29:49 EDT 2004

We had a similar issue like this. We simply relayed everything to an
internal MS exchange box. So we accepted everything at the front door,
including randomly generated addresses that would never exist. We did it
like this because we where lazy. And though I like the idea of wasting
spammers bandwidth on addresses that dont exist, I dont enjoy wasting my
bandwidth. So we bit the bullet and wrote a script to export active
directory addresses and make a custom virtuser table in sendmail. Now we
drop a couple thousand msgs a day just due to invalid addresses and only
relay explicit addresses that are known to exist.

-john