[Mimedefang] local socket unsafe

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Fri Jul 2 18:30:43 EDT 2004

On 2 Jul 2004 at 11:48, Adam Lanier wrote:

> Under what conditions is the following error generated:
>
>   Milter (mimedefang): local socket name
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock unsafe
>
> I had thought (perhaps naively) that this was caused by incorrect
> permissions on the socket.  Are there other causes as well?

Yes.  The latest sendmails track back the directory permissions all the
way up to the root.

So all of the following must not be group-writable (and, of course, not
world-writable, but that's rarely the problem):
  /
  /var
  /var/spool
  /var/spool/MIMEDefang

--
Jeff Rife        | "If the world were destroyed and you were the
SPAM bait:       |  last man within a thousand mile radius, I would