[Mimedefang] Not sure if MD is using clamd

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Wed Jan 28 15:49:08 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Tarver" <btarver at fpwk.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 2:04 PM
Subject: [Mimedefang] Not sure if MD is using clamd

> I have a sendmail box acting as a gateway for 2 Exchange boxes. I have
> been using MD for several months now for appending legal disclaimers and
> SA. I have installed clamav 0.65, but I cannot tell if it is working.
> /var/log/maillog isn't giving any indication, and /tmp/clamd.log doesn't
> have any 'FOUND' entries.

Do you have any other virus scanners installed, including File::Scan?

The default message_contains_virus and entity_contains_virus subroutines
will only use the FIRST a/v scanner in the list, and clamd/clamav are at the
end of the list (i.e. File::Scan preempts clamd!).

HEADS UP!

clamav 0.65 has a bug in clamd where clamd will essentially hang after a
while.  You'll see a message in /var/log/clamd.log saying something like
"Session 0 stopped due to timeout." after which your MIMEDefang filter will
hang and MIMEDefang will start tempfailing messages.

According to Kelson Vibber in his post
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2004-January/019527.html,
the development snapshots don't have this problem.  See
http://www.clamav.net/snapshot/clamav-devel-latest.tar.gz for a tarball.

Chris Myers
Networks By Design