[Mimedefang] Many many MX records

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 14 13:52:10 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 15:02, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
>
> > This led me to wonder  what would happen if I registered a bunch of high
> > valued MX records, ie:
>
> > Domain.com      IN MX 10        mailfilter.domain.com
>
> > Domain.com      IN MX 100       bogusaddress.domain.com
> >                 .
> >                 .
> > Domain.com      IN MX 200       bogusaddress.domain.com
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing this.  DNS uses UDP, and it's inadvisable to
> have so many MX records that they won't fit in one decent-sized UDP packet.

I thought recent versions of DNS will fall over to TCP if the packet
grows larger than XYZ UDP length. That being the case, I dont think it
is recommended to have more than 3-5 MX records per hosts. I think the
reasons are usually legend versus factual, but that is the 'normal' way
of doing it.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645