[Mimedefang] the 'best' way?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jan 12 16:23:30 EST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Kris Deugau wrote:

> I happen to like MD- for the prime reason that it's *VERY*
> configurable.  Anything I want to do with a message that can be written
> in Perl can be done.

Obviously, I like the kitchen-sink approach of MD too. :-)

> That said, there are disadvantages to an all-in-one design- if something
> breaks, your whole email system starts falling apart.

If you have a series of milters and one breaks, then mail stops flowing
anyway (if you've used the F=T flag.)  More milters are *more* opportunity
for things to break.

> Things like per-user spam preferences are MUCH harder to implement in
> full with an all-in-one design- there are more limitations on how you
> process the mail.

That difficulty is a consequence of Milter itself, not of whether you
use one milter or several milters.  Many people use a combination of
milter to analyze the message and leave a header in it, and procmail
to do per-user disposition of the mail based on the header.  Our
commercial products are a little cleverer and manage to do per-user
settings without relying on a local delivery agent.