[Mimedefang] Greylist TEMPFAILS being viewed as 5.x.x PERM fails?

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Wed Jan 28 14:14:34 EST 2004

List,

Quite some time ago, we implimented greylisting, based on code snippets
posted here by various people.  I'd like to share a problem we're having, to
see if it rings a bell with anyone on this list.

When a triplet is first encountered, we tempfail the message and add the
triplet to the database.  The next time we see that same triplet, the
message is allowed straight in.  This is working perfectly... except for a
handful of problematic sending systems.

It seems that RFC brain-dead mailers are out there, that interpret a
tempfail as if it were a 5.x.x permanent failure, and the failure is being
handed back to the sending user's MUA.

Can anyone tell me, have you:
A. "fought the good fight to prove you are not sending a 5.x.x series status
code"... and won
B. Found something in your milter code or sendmail.cf that IS in fact,
sending a 5.x.x when a triplet is greylisted
C. had experience with any such brain-dead MTAs that misinterperet a 4.x.x
code
D. Found a fix, short of whitelisting the problematic hosts

Thanks all, for lending a look into this issue.

KEN CORMACK, RHCE
Sr. UNIX Systems Analyst,
    Open Systems Group
Sr. Software Analyst,
    TSG Midrange Systems Group
AFFILIATED COMPUTER SERVICES, INC.
    557 E. Tallmadge Ave., Akron, OH  44310

"If that that is 'is' is that that is not 'not is', is that that is 'not is'
that that is not 'is'?  It is!" - Ken Cormack

"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate technical
reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken." - Unknown