[Mimedefang] action_bounce - forget it!

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jan 31 05:05:29 EST 2004

Am Sa, den 31.01.2004 schrieb Lucas Albers um 06:17:
> Alexander Dalloz said:
> > This law has a more general usage and applies too for instance on
> > central mail services in university area. This is the reason i.e. why
> > the mail admin at my university neglects to filter out viruses/worms by
> > rules which may cause loss of false positives.
> > Alexander
> Guten Tag Dude,
> I don't see why you would get any FP if you are rejecting based on virus
> scanner results. I've never had a single complaint about mail that was
> rejected because it was a virus.

Hi! (how did you know I am the dude? :)

Well, if you can be 100% sure to just reject or even discard - the point
is, that the user does not get any notice about any single action -
virus mails you might be on the safe side. Even it may be an action to
secure your own net, which is a right and task which conflicts with the
right of the user to get every mail sent to him. (Attention: I speak in
the sense of the letter of German criminal law!)

But especially in university area there are many folks - profs and
doctors - who would have no problem to blame the admin for hurting their
individual rights as mail user if they get the fact that maybe a mail
addresses to them got lost. I am not in the situation to defend such
behaviour nor the admin's statement, but I can understand at least the
admin to feel better to be on the safe juridical side.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 10:56:12 up 9:56, 7 users, 1.18, 1.14, 1.05
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]