[Mimedefang] New .zip virus?

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Fri Jan 30 15:22:58 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> In regards to McAfee and NAV, we always recommend replacing the engine and
> the defs whenever a new version is available.  I don't disagree that people
> might be running older engine files but doing so is a risky proposition in
> our opinion.

I agree with you about keeping a virus scanner updated, but I don't
think MD should abandon those older versions.  A client of mine still uses
one without --mime.  I could see adding a new global variable like
$NAIUseMime that could be defined in your filter, then having the code in
mimedefang.pl look for that variable (use --mime if it's defined).  Or a
configure option --enable-nai-mime.  configure could also check to see if
'uvscan --version' outputs a new enough version, but I think that's
probably a little too kludgey.  I can't see expecting people that don't
think or don't know uvscan needs updating to have to modify mimedefang.pl
to use it with MIMEDefang.

  Jason

--
Jason Englander <jason at englanders.cc>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA