[Mimedefang] action_bounce - forget it!

Sevo Stille sevo at radiox.de
Thu Jan 29 09:47:09 EST 2004

Dirk Mueller wrote:

>>line ~220) looks like this - see below. No bouncing, no quarantines, just
>>action_discard. For ALL the viruses/worms. That's it!

I've dropped quarantines for all known mass worms. But action_bounce is
mostly harmless, as it will reject the reception immediately. A "bounce
message" would only be generated one step up, if that should happen to
be a relay between the mimedefang box and the originating sender -
accordingly, it may be wise to disable action_bounce for the few worms
that deliver through the smart host of the infected box using a fake sender.

> Well, in most countries this is however illegal.

Hardly so. By analogy with the transport obligation paper mail and
telephony, it may be illegal to reject or discard unwanted mail without
consent of the intended recipient. But the latter should generally be
easy to get on most mail systems that use Mimedefang - on corporate
servers, the management can usually proclaim a mail policy, and on
private or smaller institutional systems it is not that hard to get
consent from all users. Only access and mail providers have an issue
with their transport obligation which they have to handle with suitable
technology (such as running servers with a per-user selectable policy).

As a side issue, all currently relevant SMTP RFCs demand that mail may
not be discarded without notification. IMHO, this is inapplicable
whereever a legitimate recipient lets a server refuse reception on his
behalf - if interpreted in any other way, the RFCs would violate the
privacy laws of most countries. But right now, we disobey the RFCs if we
discard worm mail to non-existent local recipients. AFAIK, alterations
to the RFCs in question are already being proposed, so that is unlikely
to cause trouble.

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille