[Mimedefang] Action quarantine_entire_message sometimes fails silently

Larry Starr larrys at fullcompass.com
Thu Jan 29 14:11:58 EST 2004

I'm running Redhat 8.0, mimedefang 2.37 and spamassassin 2.60 on my Mail
gateway.  This system has no users.

Background:

My mimedefang-filter uses "quarantine_entire_message", on all non-rejected
messages, to provide a repository for "original" recent messages so that I
may pull them out for updating bayesian database, etc.

Users report "spam", "notspam" by forwarding their messages to one of two
mailboxes and I use the information to pull to original message from my
quarantine directories, with scripts that I built fom a copy of "fang.pl".

I have noticed that, occasionally, there is now quarantine directory for a
message, although there is a log entry for the action.   When this happens
there appears to be roughtly an hour gap in the quarantine directory entries.

I have been unable to find anything in the log that would indicate that there
were errors saving the quarantine information and see no sign of error
checking in the quarantine subroutine, so I suspect that there are undetected
errors, for whatever reason, in the "quarantine_entire_message" function.

Has anyone else seen this, and has anyone found a solution?

Thank you,
Larry G. Starr - larrys at fullcompass.com or starrl at globaldialog.com
Software Engineer: Full Compass Systems LTD.
Phone: 608-831-7330 x 1347  FAX: 608-831-6330