[Mimedefang] Tracking down the delay (Razor timeout!)

Adam Porter porter at marine.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 28 16:51:58 EST 2004

mfaurot at atww.org wrote:

> I personally have chosen not to use all of the various RBLs that
> SpamAssassin uses by default and have instead just enabled
> RCVD_IN_SBL[1], HABEAS_VIOLATOR[2], RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK[3] and created my
> own RBL rules to access SpamHaus' XBL list[4].
>
> What I wound up doing was just looking through the SpamAssassin file
> 20_dnsbl_tests.cf and seeing what the various tests were.  I then looked
> around at the URLs mentioned in the comments to get a feel for how each
> of the lists was run.  In particular I was interested in the philosophy
> of how things got added and removed from the lists and how well they
> were technically set-up.
>
> I then decided on the lists mentioned above as they met my criteria.
> You might wish to do something similar.  By only using a select group of
> RBLs I figure I'm saving time (not having to query so many lists),
> keeping inbound delays to a minimum and reducing the chance of false
> positives.

M-

Thanks much for your time & wisdom.  This is a disciplined way to use
the RBLs, as opposed to blindly using all that show up in the
SpamAssassin rules.  I'll definitely do some exploring & trying out the
various services to see which we want to use.  In the meantime,
shortening those delay limits will definitely help us protect our
performance if any of them has problems.

Cheers,
-Adam