[Mimedefang] Tracking down the delay (Razor timeout!)

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Jan 28 15:36:24 EST 2004

At 11:21 AM 1/28/2004, Adam Porter wrote:
>So I guess my questions now are:  How do I find & set up a good, reliable
>set of RBLs?  Do I need to invest a lot of time or can I automate it?  Is
>this an anomaly with cloudmark's db/service or does this kind of thing
>happen a lot?  (PS: I re-initialized my razor client but it hasn't helped.)

I've heard of similar problems with Pyzor today (which is completely
separate from Razor).  With two similar services bogging down, I suspect
they are due to the increased traffic caused by Mydoom and sites that
bounce/notify "senders."

http://news.com.com/2100-7355-5148995.html states:
"On Tuesday and today, people have noticed that the Internet is a
percentage slower. The bounce-back e-mails could account for up to 25
percent of this slowdown"

It's especially applicable in this case.  The increased volume from both
the virus and responses to it translates directly into increased load on
Razor, Pyzor, DCC, and anything else where recipients check each message
against a centralized server (or group of servers).

At least from the tone of the article, it sounds like more and more people
are coming to realize that auto-notification on viruses just doesn't make
sense anymore.

Kelson Vibber