[Mimedefang] Tracking down the delay

Adam Porter porter at marine.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 28 11:53:54 EST 2004

I'm getting long delays (30+ seconds) for every message with
MD/SpamAssassin/Razor.  I know this comes up a lot but I'd like to learn
how to debug things a little better.

Environment: Redhat Linux 9 on Intel (gobs of CPU/RAM) with sendmail
8.12.8+Milter (to be upgraded once this is solved), MD 2.38,
SpamAssassin 2.63, Razor Agents 2.36, NAI/McAfee uvscan.

1. The delays seem to go away if I disable MD in the sendmail conf.  So
I guess sendmail is innocent.

2. The delays seem to go away when I disable RBL checks.  So this points
to razor/RBL stuff.

3. When I run spamassassin at the command line on a spam message,
there's no delay.  I can't explain this.

4. When I run uvscan at the command line on a message, there's no delay.
  So I'm guessing NAI uvscan is probably innocent too.

5. When I upgraded razor-agents last week, the delays went down to 3-4
seconds for a while but now they've gotten long (30+ seconds) again.

I've got spamassassin and MD logging but can't find any RBL debug info
except for the delay times.  Can anyone point me towards debugging this
properly?  I've tried playing with debug options for spamassassin and
razor but haven't managed to produce any RBL-related messages.

Thanks!

-Adam