[Mimedefang] New .zip virus?

Alastair Carey alastair at hsnz.co.nz
Mon Jan 26 20:05:48 EST 2004

Hi David,

Yes, it's the W32.Novarg.A at mm worm (that just rolls off the tongue, doesn't
it? :)

Symantec report here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html

The zip is a 22 Kb archive that includes a single file, the worm itself. The
zip file is delivered using multiple names (test.zip, doc.zip, etc.), and
the subject of the mail also changes. Assuming for a moment that one isn't
scanning viruses as part of the defanging process, is there an easy way of
blocking just these files and allowing other zip files through?

Cheers
Alastair