[Mimedefang] Dumb Question

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Mon Jan 26 03:55:26 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Ben Kamen wrote:

> In the /etc/mail/spamassassin dir... what's the local.cf for?

perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

Says:
"SpamAssassin is configured using some traditional UNIX-
       style configuration files, loaded from the /usr/share/spa-
       massassin and /etc/mail/spamassassin directories."

I think I have seen those two directories referred to as:

/usr/share/spamassassin --> base rules
/etc/mail/spamassassin  --> site-wide config

Although I have installed SpamAssassin via CPAN only all the time on this
system, I have found two "base rule" directories, one in
/usr/share/spamassassin (which was very out of date) and one in
/usr/local/share/spamassasin (up-to-date).

In my tests, SpamAssassin picks up every *.cf file in all three locations:
/usr/local/share/spamassassin, /usr/share/spamassassin,&
/etc/mail/spamassassin. However, MimeDefang passes
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf as "user config" to SpamAssassin, which
overrides any setting of the other files. (In fact, the file is read twice
this way, first as site-wide config, second as user config.)

I accidently found out about this behaviour running the command:
$ spamassassin --lint -x

Actually, I have almost nothing in sa-mimedefang.cf, but place
rules and settings of one topic into one file, e.g. "bayes.cf" etc.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser