[Mimedefang] OT:sa rule to catch ie exploit

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Jan 22 17:39:31 EST 2004

Rule to detect IE exploit.

Your mileage may vary.

Will match these exploits:
Replace ttp with http (so it will slip by my scanner and mcafee.)

ttp://www.trusted_site.com%01%00@malicious_site.com/malicious.html
ttp://www.trusted_site.com%01@malicious_site.com/malicious.html
ttp://www.trusted_site.com%00@malicious_site.com/malicious.html
ttp://www.trusted.com%00@www.malicious.com
ttp://www.malicious.com%C0%80@www.trusted.com/

Attached is the sa local.cf rule to do this.
I recommend you leave it at the default level and see what you catch
before raising the score.

uri IE_ADDRESS_SPOOF_EXPLOIT  /^https?\:\/\/[^\/\s].*%0[1|0]@/
describe IE_ADDRESS_SPOOF_EXPLOIT       Message contains IE address spoof
score IE_ADDRESS_SPOOF_EXPLOIT .01

You can see the regexp match by putting these items in a file and running
this from the command line against a file:

perl -ne 'print if s/(https?\:\/\/[^\/\s].*%0[1|0]@)/$1/' /tmp/test.txt

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering