[Mimedefang] rejecting on helo,drive-by-relay,forged_sender,

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at pathtech.org
Fri Jan 16 14:20:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 12:30, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> > Sender Permitted From (http://spf.pobox.com/)is designed to authenticate
> > who is allowed to send mail for a domain.
>

> I wonder if this can take off, in the face of so many people who
> have grown accustomed to sending legit mail with a sender address
> that has no relation to the account and domain they are using to
> send the mail.  Like my columbia.edu address when I send from my
> home ISP's smtp server.  Like my vanity domain address when
> I send from the ISP that provides connectivity to the hotel room
> I am in today.  Not that I think this widespread "forging" of
> sender addresses is good.  But it is widespread.
>
> Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
> Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu

Join the SPF mailing list for answers to this question and likely many
others. In fact I believe all of your concerns have been thoroughly
discussed and there are even some solutions.

I like the idea of some assurance that my domains will be difficult to
forge.
--
Dream BIG dreams! Others may deprive you of your material wealth and
cheat you in a thousand ways, but NO man can deprive you of the control