[Mimedefang] greylisting and HABEAS_SWE

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Fri Jan 16 13:14:46 EST 2004

> Thanks to Lucas and Dave Skoll for that code. It was very easy to
> get it running.  But this morning I was somewhat disappointed that
> there was still a lot of spam getting through I was hoping it'd
> stop. In particular a large amount of pharma spam. Upon looking at
> it it also had headers triggering the HABEAS_SWE test resulting in
> a negative spam score. Is anyone familiar with this compensation
> test and the company behind this header?  I resisted the impulse
> to just remove the test. (Yes, I know that greylisting is not related
> to those headers in any manner) The greylisting is working for
> numerous other spams.

I am familiar with this Habeas test and have seen the exact spam and
problems you are referring to on our network.

In short, Habeas (habeas.com) puts a copyrighted or trademarked tag into the
email so that they can then sue for trademark/copyright infringement for
mis-use if the tag is used for the purpose of sending SPAM.

This allows them to prosecute anywhere that US Copyrights are upheld despite
a lack of anti-SPAM laws.  They very likely also have the
trademark/copyrights in other countries but I haven't followed it much.

I am considering removing the negative score for their tag because we have
seen an upswell of spam using this.  The spammer either doesn't know,
doesn't care, or will get shutdown pretty quickly.

In conclusion, I have been meaning to actually contact Habeas for their
opinion on this issue but simply haven't had time.

KAM