[Mimedefang] "Deep recursion on subroutine" in MIME::Parser - how to trace?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 16 09:44:17 EST 2004

> Royce Williams wrote:
>
>> A problem cropped up for me this weekend.  I have slaves consistently
>> dying
>> with a "Deep recursion on subroutine" error in MIME::Parser:
>
> Silence from the list usually either means "you're clueless, buddy" or
> "too weird/one-off/complex to bother with".  :)

I've seen it when we action_bounce something to an address that
sends it right back with what we bounced as an rfc822 part.  We
then bounce it again since it still has whatever was objectionable.
Each round adds another nested layer of rfc822 parts.  After a
while it hits "Deep recursion".  I'm not sure we want to recurse
deeper and keep the loop going.  Limits can be our friend.

Automatic handling would be good.  Maybe if it hits "Deep recursion"
it should be accepted and sent to postmaster.  Offhand I don't know
how to code that.  I haven't seen a case in a long time so it's not
going to make my to-do list.

I'd like to tell you how we diagnosed it but I can't remember--
sorry.  Probably just eyeballing syslog.

Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu