[Mimedefang] Maybe OT: using sendmail and Active Directory to reject invalidrecipients

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu Jan 15 17:31:30 EST 2004

> Hopefully, someone else out there will find our solution useful.  Below
> is a link to the scripts we use to export the addresses from Exchange
> and generate the access.db file.  While not specific to MIMEdefang
> (this solution could be used without it), I'm guessing we're not the
> only company out there using sendmail as a gatekeeper for Exchange.

I found it very useful because you definitely addressed the scaling issues
we were worried about with real-time LDAP queries against a Microsoft Active
Directory Server.

I've been looking at your solution and working on an LDAP solution for some
months now.  I very much liked to simplicity of your solution and have
chosen it with a few quite minor changes to genaccessdb.pl.  Specifically, I
wanted to:

A) check for some valid entries in the all-emails.txt file before we create
a new file and nuke the old access.db source file
B) directly modify the access file rather than using redirects so that if
the exchange is down, we can still maintain the last good access.db for
queuing purposes.

Doing so let me make the following cron script:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/adexport.pl > /etc/mail/all-emails.txt
/usr/local/sbin/genaccessdb.pl

make -C /etc/mail > /dev/null

A REALLY rough draft of how I implemented everything is at
http://www.peregrinehw.com/downloads/ldap/INSTALL and the slightly modified
genaccessdb.pl is at
http://www.peregrinehw.com/downloads/ldap/genaccessdb.pl

Regards,