[Mimedefang] A big recommendation for using ramdisk on MD spool directory

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Mon Jan 12 18:06:45 EST 2004

On 01/12/04 at 16:53, 'twas brillig and Stephen Johnson scrobe:
> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 16:14, Stephen Johnson wrote:
>
> > I moved /var/spool/MIMEDefang to a ramfsfile system (Linux).
>
> Olaf pointed this out. I meant to say tmpfs NOT ramfs.

	I see no 'Olaf' here... Although I've been called worse.[1]

> I DON'T recommends using ramfs under Linux for MD. ramfs doesn't have
> any size limits. One big e-mail could chew up most or all available
> memory.

	Er. It may be kernel-dependent, but later 2.4 kernels should
support a "maxsize" mount option. <shuffle shuffle> Ah. Here we go...
According to /usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs.txt:

    The resource usage limits of ramfs can be controlled with the
    following mount options:

	    maxsize=NNN
		    Sets the maximum allowed memory usage of the
    filesystem to NNN kilobytes. This will be rounded down to a
    multiple of the page size. The default is half of physical memory.
    NB.  unlike most of the other limits, setting this to zero does
    *not* mean no limit, but will actually limit the size of the
    filesystem data to zero pages. There might be a use for this in
    some perverse situation.

	Tmpfs is probably better, in that the kernel can swap it, but
that may not be desireable for all situations.

		Ole

[1]: e.g. "Roly-poly-Ole" when I was younger. (And when we played
	sports, I was often "Roly-Poly-Ole the goalie." ISYN.)
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key