[Mimedefang] A big recommendation for using ramdisk on MD spool directory

Stephen Johnson Stephen.Johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Mon Jan 12 17:14:44 EST 2004

I had been leary of putting the /var/spool/MIMEDefang dir on a ramdisk.
It has only 512MB of RAM.

But my server had been under a huge deluge of SPAM since the weekend.
The server was choking under the load. MAX_SLAVES was being hit and
everything slave was busy. Accord to watch-defang the system could only
handle around 1.3-1.5 messages per second.

I moved /var/spool/MIMEDefang to a ramfsfile system (Linux). Wow! What a
difference. The server is handling 3+ messages per second without
breaking a sweat. And the best thing, the number of slaves has stayed at
MIN_SLAVES. Not one addition slave has been need. I can't wait to see
how the server performs tomorrow at peak mail loads.

Server is a Dual P3 800Mhz, 512MB of RAM running SA 2.55, MD 2.35,
ClamAV and File::Clean.
Stephen L Johnson                       stephen.johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Unix Systems Administrator              sjohnson at monsters.org
Department of Information Systems