[Mimedefang] the 'best' way?

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Mon Jan 12 16:13:19 EST 2004

Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> I'm just wondering what the experts on this list feel is the better
> approach:
> Sendmail+mimedefang with MD calling the anti-virus, SA, etc
> or
> sendmail with an anti-virus milter, spamass-milter, etc
>
> basically, multiple single-function milters, or one all-inclusive
> milter?

I happen to like MD- for the prime reason that it's *VERY*
configurable.  Anything I want to do with a message that can be written
in Perl can be done.

That said, there are disadvantages to an all-in-one design- if something
breaks, your whole email system starts falling apart.

Things like per-user spam preferences are MUCH harder to implement in
full with an all-in-one design- there are more limitations on how you
process the mail.

I'm running two systems- one does domain hosting, and has pretty much a
fully MD-based setup (AV, spamscans, checking for valid users, and I
don't recall what else).  The implementation I've got allows per-domain
but not per-user settings.  The other does the AV scans with MD, but
doesn't do much else- SA is called on a per-user basis from
.procmailrc's.  On that system, I could probably boost performance a
small fraction by digging up a milter that *just* knows how to call
clamav and take the actions I want available.

-kgd
--
"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate
technical reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken."