[Mimedefang] spamassassin learning

Douglas, Jason jdouglas at municipality.clarington.on.ca
Mon Jan 12 12:53:20 EST 2004

Hi All,

I took someone's advice from last week and moved my spamassassin bayes
files to somewhere else (bayes_path is
/var/spool/MIMEdefang/bayes/bayes) so in /var/spool/MIMEdefang/bayes/ I
copied my bayes_toks, bayes_msgcount, bayes_seen files. They are owned
by the defang user and group (so is the bayes folder). I also changed
the permissions to 777 just for testing, and I get the same problems
(below).

Currently I keep my config files in /etc/mail/spamassassin/. This is
where the original bayes_* files were. Now I just have the following .cf
files:
bigevil.cf
oct03_headers.cf
popcorn.cf
sa-mimedefang.cf.example
nov2rules.cf
oct03_rules.cf
sa-mimedefang.cf

Of course sa-mimedefang.cf.example is not used, but sa-mimedefang.cf is
where my main config is (and where I set the bayes_path variable), the
rest are just extra rules.

However now if I run "spamassassin -D --lint" one of the lines is
"cannot use bayes on this message; db not initialised yet".

Also if I look in /var/log/mail/info I see lines like "Jan 12 12:29:27
spammail mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 2 stderr: cannot write to
/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_msgcount, Bayes db update ignored". So is
there somewhere else I need to change the bayes_path?

Also, which may be a separate problem, but this is what started this in
the first place, the bayes_journal file was gone (from the original
location before I decided to change the bayes_path). So I created it
under the bayes path, there is now a
/var/spool/MIMEdefang/bayes/bayes_journal file.

My apologies if I am asking for information that has already been
covered.

Jason Douglas
Network Support Technician
905.623.3379 Ext 399