[Mimedefang] Greylisting Question

Rick Mallett rmallett at ccs.carleton.ca
Sun Jan 11 22:45:35 EST 2004

There is something I don't understand about greylisting. In most
of the sample code posted in this forum the greylisting function was
invoked from within filter_recipient and as far as I can see a message
with multiple recipients would get tempfail'ed multiple times, as many
times as there are recipients, each with its own blocking period.

Or is it the case that filter_recipient will be called for each
recipient of a specific message in a given SMTP session regardless
of a "TEMPFAIL" return status on a particular call to filter_recipient.

Sorry, that still isn't very clear. Let me try again. The question
really is "in a given SMTP session does filter_recipient get called
for each recipient of a given message regardless of the return status
of any particular call to filter_recipient?".

If not, if the 451 error status is returned immediately in response to
a given "RCPT TO" command, and if that terminates the session, then it
would seem that the message will get tempfail'ed for the full blocking
period, only to get tempfail'ed for another blocking period when the
second recipient is finally encountered and so on and so forth.

- rick mallett