[Mimedefang] the right place to put greylist check?

Mark Sheppard mark at ddf.net
Sun Jan 11 18:47:49 EST 2004

On 2004-01-11 (Sunday) at 23:55:48 +0100, Cahya Wirawan wrote:

> do you use greylist check in filter_end right after SA check and
> before exiting from the function?

I used to put it right at the end of filter_end.  This should make it
a little bit more effective because it gives the other checks a chance
to reject it first, making the greylist a final safety check.  However
putting it there means that more processing and bandwidth are used and
the mimedefang process is tied up for longer.  On an overloaded server
this can matter.  For these reasons I've now moved it to the end of
filter_recipient for the first recipient.

> is it save to say tempfail to the sender if they send already the
> data?

Yes, that's fine.  Programs properly implementing SMTP won't consider
the message passed on until they see the 221 return code after the
DATA command.

Mark.