[Mimedefang] RE: cannot write to bayes_journal

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Sat Jan 10 04:34:11 EST 2004

Douglas, Jason said:
> I also had to chgrp to defang, it seems to be working now. But what is
> the purpose of this file? I'm guessing it is for the auto learning
> feature, that it is the learning that will take place at the next
> database rebuild. But when does that happen? Is it automatically rebuilt
> at some point or do I have to do it manually? And then will I have to
> manually set up the bayes_journal file for writing again?
Automatic.
Don't do anything, and it will just learn words that are in spam messages.
It learns on every spam that come over the autolearn threshold.
Database rebuild just removes old entries.
To reitierate, you don't have to do anything except let it learn from good
low and high ham and spam mail.
Don't set your threshold to high or to low and you are DONE!.
Perhaps 0 and 9 would be good thresholds that I use.
You want 0 false positives on autolearned spam/ham.
Better to learn quality, then quantity.

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering