[Mimedefang] filter-relay, rejection on bogus helo

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Jan 8 12:08:31 EST 2004

Joseph Brennan said:

> We have no reason to trust local IPs more than other IPs, and
> our users may be sending from other networks.  What we may do later
> is reject bad HELO if not smtp auth'd.
>
> Giving a spam score for bad HELO might have possibilities.
> We haven't tried that.

You get a lot of mail from local ip address that are spam?

I just exclude authenticatd users. Then it doesn't matter where my user's
are sending from, or what their helo string is. I also exclude local users
before I do my bogus helo checking.

All of my rejection messages all point to a webpage where the user can
read about why their mail was rejected and how to go about fixing it.
http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/spam.htm
That reduced my support issues...
--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering