Smarthost Failover - WAS RE: [Mimedefang] SMTP mailertable question

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Wed Jan 7 12:15:37 EST 2004

"Cormack, Ken" wrote:
> First, the only references I have found in any documentation,
> including the O'Reilly sendmail book (the "bat book") and the
> cf/README file included in the sendmail source tree, only show the
> use of a colon in SMART_HOST, in the context of
>
>         "MAILER:hostname"
>
> I would assume that any attempt to use hostnames here such as
> "host1.domain.com:host2.domain.com" (as opposed to litteral IP
> addresses) would be interperated by sendmail in this fashion

At a guess, enclosing hostnames in []'s would eliminate that- if you're
relaying mail for something, for instance, you may want to explicitly
specify a destination hostname rather than allowing sendmail to try an
MX lookup on that name.

You may also be able to do something like:

define(`SMART_HOST',`esmtp:[host1.dom:host2.dom]')

I have no idea whether either of these would work though.  <g>

-kgd
--
"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate
technical reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken."